Monday, September 20, 2010

Unprovoked Gift


I gave and you took.
You took my very blood from my veins.
You bled me till I was dry.
Then you stripped the very flesh from my bones.

Perhaps I should call you cruel and inhumane.
Perhaps you acted like a monster.
But we both know the truth.

That blood that you drained from my body.
That flesh stripped from my structure.
Was in fact the blood and flesh given to you by me.

Why oh why was I so foolish?
I gave all I could possibly give physically.
Yet you still asked for more.

What was it about me?
You were nothing to me.
You offered me nothing.
Yet I gave all.

This lifeless form left you behind today.
Somehow I found it within myself to walk away from your hold.
The hold that I put my self in.

In your desperation you chased after me.
I would not adhere to your pleadings to return to your clutches.
And with some unknown drive I pick myself up and I will begin again.

I stand here tonight and I believe my heart is beating again.
My face has begun to regain form.
Your welcome for your unprovoked gift.

Perhaps I will learn to not give myself away so easily
I doubt it....

No comments:

Post a Comment